Difficulty: Medium to Hard
Qualifications: At least 25 years of age, PhD in Physics or another applicable field.
Relevant Education: Mars University - Solis Cognito University - The Gliutip’lyaz University
Supervisors: Research Director
Duties: Make bombs.
Guides: This is the guide.
Toxins Research is a division of the Research and Development department of the station. It is used to create Tank Transfer Valve bombs by mixing heated phoron with oxygen to cause an explosive reaction. These bombs can be tested on the nearby bomb range, or used to completely ruin the station when they are left to traitors and/or idiots.
Before You Begin
Before you begin to create deadly bombs:
- Equip yourself. A self-respecting bombmaker should carry a screwdriver and wrench to put together or take apart their creations. If you are a scientist (you are, right?) your PDA also has a gas scanner you can enable.
- Familiarize yourself with the chambers, pipe systems, computers and buttons in your lab. Many pumps are labeled, so be sure to examine things closely.
- Make certain that there is power being generated over in engineering! Your pumps use a surprising amount of APC charge, and having the equipment shut off while your heating chamber is burning hot can lead to tragedy.
- If you start a fire in the heating chamber that is hotter than 4,000 degrees Kelvin, the borosilicate windows of the mixing chamber will begin to crack. Once the damage has begun (it will sound as if something is repeatedly hitting the windows), you will have a little while to notice and either cool the gas in the chamber or vent it to space. If you do not, You will have a bad time.
- As a basic goal, the gas in the bomb you're making needs to be hotter than the phoron flashpoint of about 520 degrees Kelvin (or 247 degrees Celsius) after the two tanks mix.
The Aurora's heating chamber works by pumping the phoron to be used in the bomb into heat exchange pipes, and then heating the air in the chamber with a phoron fire. The two connector ports north of the chamber are for adding or removing phoron from the heat exchange system, while the three connector ports to the east by the airlock are for mixing gas to pump into the chamber itself.
Pure phoron should be pumped into the heat exchange system, while some mixture of phoron and oxygen should be pumped into the mixing chamber and then ignited. You do not need a lot of either gas to achieve a hot fire. Keep in mind that the more phoron you use in the chamber, the longer it will take to heat up when ignited.
The speed at which gas flows into the chamber depends on what the kPa is set to on the "Desirable Output Pressure" section of the gas pumps. The higher the pressure, the quicker the gas will flow.
Once you are satisfied with your chamber mix and the phoron is pumped into the heat exchange pipes, Ignite the chamber with the small red button by the airlock. It will burn for as long as there is oxygen and phoron to consume in the chamber. Oxygen will almost always run out first, and shouldn't burn for long if you've only added a small amount.
Once your fire is out, you can check the meters on the chamber window to see the temperature of the phoron in the heat exchange system. If it is hot enough, pump it out into an empty canister.
Sealing the Deal: Setting Us up the Bomb
To create a Tank Transfer Valve bomb, you need four things:
- The Tank Transfer Valve itself. These are stored in the observation room to the southeast of the lab.
- A device to trigger the bomb. This can be a remote signalling device, a timer, or a proximity sensor, all found in the same observation room.
- A phoron tank filled with the hot phoron from the heat exchange pipes.
- An oxygen tank to trigger the explosion when the tanks mix.
Use your screwdriver to attach a triggering device of your choice to the tank transfer valve, and secure it. Be sure to configure your tirggering device by using the Tank Transfer Valve in your hand.
Use the Portable Air Pump to suck out the room-temperature phoron in the phoron tank (it will lower the temperature of the gas you put in if you do not). Be sure to confirm that the Air Pump is set to 'in' and not 'out,' or you will spray phoron into the air around you. This is a good way to hurt yourself and feel silly.
Once you have an empty tank, slot it into your canister, and fill it up with hot phoron gas by setting a target volume and opening the release valve. Be sure to close the valve again before ejecting the tank, or you will spray HOT phoron into the air around you. This is a good way to start a phoron fire and probably die.
With your hot phoron tank in hand, dispense an oxygen tank from the tank dispenser. Now you have everything you need! Attach the tanks to your configured Tank Transfer Valve and you're ready to make an explosion.
Testing Your Creations
The toxins lab has a testing range that is good for one powerful bomb. Just enter Toxins observation (where you found the parts to assemble your bomb), set your bomb's timer if it's using one, place it into the disposal chute to send it to the mass driver, and activate it to send your device to the range. once the bomb is on the range, you can use the camera monitors to view the detonation from a safe distance. Just send your detonation signal or wait for the timer to expire to see the fruits of your labor!
- Experiment with the volumes and temperatures of both gas tanks to create the perfect bomb! The contents of your tanks affect the result.
- There is a second chamber in the lab that you can use to mix special gasses, and maybe even create devices that don't make a phoron-fueled explosion. Imagine that.
- Once the lights on the bomb range go out or get destroyed, it gets very dark in there. Make nice with engineering if you want to use it more than once.
- There is a space suit and external airlock in the connecting room between toxins research and observation, if you want to see the range yourself after an explosion.
Setting these bombs off randomly on the station is one of the fastest ways to get in trouble. If you aren't an antagonist, you may be subject to a job ban or server ban.
If you are going to go bomb spamming as an antagonist, it's a good idea to clear it with mods and admins first by using either AOOC chat, or ahelping. Causing excessive player casualties, or bombing crowded places like departures without the appropriate roleplay/escalation of conflict will get you in trouble, even as an antagonist.
|Head of department||Research Director|
|Personnel||Roboticist - Scientist|
|Relevant Education||Mars University - Solis Cognito University - The Gliutip’lyaz University|
|Useful guides||Guide to Research and Development - Guide to Toxins - Guide to Xenobiology - Guide to Xenobotany - Guide to Robotics - Guide to Xenoarchaeology - Integrated Electronics - Guide to Telescience|